Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Journey of a "Yellow Blankie"

This is a story of a little 3 year girl named Malea and the love she had for her "yellow blankie." It all started when Malea was a little baby and loved having this soft yellow blankie snuggled up to her face to help her fall asleep. She became quite attached to this "yellow blankie" and would request it not only when she was going to sleep, but more often than not, would request it instead of her parents when she needed comfort. But, we had rules about her blankie - it didn't go out of the house (unless we were going on an overnight trip, etc.) and it was "supposed " to just stay on her bed. But, it of course had to be used for the tablecloth in her tea party, and sometimes wrapped around her waist to make a quick skirt. She loved this blankie and would show her love by squishing it in a ball and rubbing it against her face. This little love affair continued until yesterday. Our sweet little Malea has really thrashed this little blankie and I told her I thought that it was about time that we threw it away and made her another one. I really said it kind of in the midst of other things going on and then didn't think anything of it - until bedtime when... our sweet little Malea reports to her bed and just starts balling. I asked her what was wrong and she told me she wanted her yellow blankie. It was the end of the day, and I was of course tired and not very patient. I replied "where is it Malea, go get it." She then looked at me in tears and said "mom, it's in the garbage - you told me to." I picked her up in my arms and just started crying with her. It broke my heart. I was so proud of her for being obedient and shocked that this sweet little girl would give up the one thing I think she loves the most. So, needless to say, we are going on a trip to the fabric store tomorrow to find some new material to make her a new "yellow blankie." Here are some pictures of the journey of Malea and her very special "yellow blankie."



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. I can't believe you have 5 kids... that went fast. But they are all so cute!! You guys are such a beautiful family.

Lucky you... Day spa. How wonderful!! So fun to catch up with you.

Kendyl said...

I actually cryed reading this post because Katelyn has a pink blankie...and we have no rules (you're smart!) so it goes EVERYWHERE with us...and it has for almost 4 years now. It's so torn and worn but she loves it. Just today we talked about putting it away in her special bin to save when she's a big girl but she said she wasn't done yet. (I've already bought the same blanket as a replacement but it's just not the same when it's not all worn out and torn apart!). What a good girl you have though to just throw it away...special little girl!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to cry when I read about Malea's blanket. I still have my baby blanket stored in the bottom drawer of my linen closet. My dd at 12 would die if something happened to her blanket. How "grown-up" of Malea to obey you, but how heartbreaking at the same time.

I love following your family and adventures of raising five under five. (I come via Erin's blog)

Tricia said...

Sniff, Sniff,.... what a sweet little girl!!!!

Eric and Jenny said...

THat is really sweet and I love that first picture of her with the blankie, frame that one for sure.

And boy am I jealous of your deep freeze maybe one of these days Eric will give in to my begging too!

Anonymous said...

Lets hope the gift of obedience always stays with her.

Jaimee Blood said...

What a sweet post Lisa--I have tears in my eyes! And seeing that picture of it in the garbage--that is a sad day but she is so sweet. Sure miss that cutie.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a sweet girl! Cassi (my 11 year old) had a blankie too...it got lost at a sleepover....so glad, we called it "the oil rag"

Steve and Rebecca said...

Ahh...such a sweet story!! Megan has a pink precious moments blanket that she LOVES too. Ryan never had a blanket, but he LOVES this little giraffe that Heidi Southam Parks gave him at my baby shower in SLC before he was even born. It's so funny what kids get attached to! Miss you tons!

NJ said...

That is a such an adorable story! What a good girl!!

We had so much fun at your house on Sunday - thanks for inviting us!!

Sara Liechty said...

I got teary reading this! What a sweet girl!